Zipp’s 808 Firecrest® Carbon Clincher is pure engineering science. It has to be. To achieve speed with an 82mm rim depth is one thing, but to be fast but also high crosswind stability, well, that requires serious attention to detail. Yet that’s just what the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher accomplishes – speed with stability, what we call AeroBalance™ – which has made it a longtime favorite of triathletes, time trial specialists, as well as any cyclist in search of free speed. At Zipp, that search for aero efficiency is unrelenting. To that end, the latest iteration of the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher provides more speed, better control, and greater stopping power than its predecessor: More Speed: Revised rim profile for reduced aerodynamic drag developed by our advanced development team in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Greater AeroBalance™: ABLC™ Sawtooth™ Technology, a complex dimpling pattern first developed for our top-level NSW wheel lineup. This technology helps reduce high yaw drag while improving crosswind stability. This helps to achieve the optimization of low aerodynamic drag and crosswind stability, which we call AeroBalance. Better braking: Zipp’s ShowStopper™ textured braking surface delivers unrivalled rim braking performance in wet or dry conditions. Lighter Weight: The 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is 55 grams lighter than its previous iteration. Every Firecrest rim is laid up by hand at our factory in Indianapolis, Indiana. Having engineering, manufacturing and testing under one roof helps us innovate more quickly while ensuring top quality. Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required us to evaluate a slew of minutely varied prototypes through CFD, or computational fluid dynamics, software and in the wind tunnel. At 26.4 mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,830 grams, it more than holds its own on the climbs. With Firecrest’s unparalleled approach to the wheel’s center of pressure, the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher also handles crosswinds with the stability you’d normally associate with a much shallower rim – making the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style. At the center of the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher is Zipp’s 77/177 hubset with best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed. For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, we now offer our Firecrest Carbon Clincher wheels with a XDR driver body allowing for more cassette options including a 10-42. Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim® CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness. Includes quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame. Heavy continuous braking on carbon surfaces can cause spikes in rim temperature and tire pressure that impact performance and handling – especially with clincher tires. To solve this challenge, our composites supplier created a heat-resistant resin exclusively for Zipp. This technology improves heat dissipation so substantially that our Carbon Clinchers have never had a heat-related failure. For triathletes and road racers seeking superior aero performance, stable handling, and the convenience of clinchers, there’s no faster all-around wheelset than the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher. The Zipp Tangente R25 Road tire is a perfect match for this wheelset to deliver exceptionally low rolling resistance and high cornering grip. Each 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher wheel comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, rim tape and quick release.
- ABLC™ SawTooth™ Technology (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control)
- Our new Sawtooth dimple design consists of 12 nodes that are specifically clocked to start aerodynamic shearing at a rate of 50hz at a rider speed of 20mph. Sawtooth accomplishes this by inducing small sheet vortices that shed at a low magnitude, but at a higher natural frequency, thus decreasing the laminar bubble effect on the aerodynamically shielded side of the rim’s profile to further reduce high yaw drag and improve crosswind stability.
- Showstopper™ is a complimenting pairing of a directional, molded-in, texture with silicon carbide particles suspended in the surface resin.
- Read More
- With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape in our 202, 303, 404 and 808 Firecrest wheels, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- Read More
- Carbon Clincher
- Our superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. We worked with our composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- Wire EDM
- Electron Discharge Machining allows us to cut the materials for our rear hub drive internals after they’ve been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Read More
- VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control)
- Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- Steel Bearings
- Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company’s “high precision” balls, and more than five times tighter than most “precision” balls.
- Read More
Exchange, Returns, and Refunds Policy
Please choose carefully before you buy.
Endurance House Sarasota/Bradenton does not offer a satisfaction guarantee on any of their products, however due to their high level of customer service, they will always endeavour to keep customers happy and satisfied.
All items are carefully inspected and assembled by highly experienced mechanics. For any manufacturer defects, we will work with the manufacturer to ensure prompt warranty claims. For shipping damage, we ship via FedEx through BikeFlights.com. We ensure that the item is insured up to the purchase price, and the customer will be required to work with BikeFlights for remedy.